Adjusting to Life with a Support Worker

I’m about to start working with a support worker for the first time and feeling a bit nervous about it. How do you get comfortable with someone new helping you out? Any tips on building a good working relationship with a support worker? I want to make sure we both understand each other’s expectations. Thanks for any advice!

Hey Grace it’s normal to feel nervous. A good start is to have an initial meeting where you discuss your needs, preferences, and expectations. Be open about how you like things done. It’s also important to give feedback regularly, both positive and constructive.

Agree with Emily. Also, remember it might take a little time to get used to each other. Patience is key. Setting clear boundaries from the start helps too. It’s all about mutual respect and understanding.

When I first got a support worker, I made a list of things that are important to me and shared it with them. It helped them get to know me better. Just be yourself and communicate openly. You’ll find your rhythm.

Building trust takes time. Start with small tasks and gradually increase as you become more comfortable. Always communicate your needs clearly, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s a partnership, so both of you should feel comfortable.

Great insights from everyone. Ensuring clear communication is key in establishing a successful relationship with your support worker. If any issues arise, don’t hesitate to address them directly or discuss them with your NDIS coordinator. Your comfort and satisfaction are crucial.