Advice on Transitioning to More Independent Living

Hello all, DigitalDreamer_55 here. I’m currently exploring options for my brother to move towards more independent living under his NDIS plan. He’s been expressing a desire to have more independence, but I’m not sure how to start this transition or what supports are available for this kind of move. Has anyone gone through this process and can offer some guidance? What are some key things to consider, and how can we ensure a smooth transition?

Transitioning to independent living is a big step. Start by identifying the skills your brother needs to develop for independent living, like cooking, budgeting, or using public transport. Then, see if these can be included in his NDIS plan through capacity building supports. It’s a gradual process, so take it step by step.

One thing that really helped us was finding a supportive living arrangement, like a shared independent living situation where there is some level of support available. This can offer a good balance between independence and support. Also, involving your brother in the decision-making process is key to ensuring he feels empowered and ready for the change.

Hey DD55. Good to see you again.

It’s great to hear about your brother’s aspirations for more independence. In addition to the advice given, I’d recommend discussing with his NDIS planner about potential living arrangements and supports specifically tailored for independent living. They can provide insights into what’s possible within his current plan and any adjustments that might be needed.

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. Involving him in every step is definitely my plan. I’ll speak with his planner about these ideas.