Balancing Act - Too Much or Not Enough?

Feeling a bit stuck. I’m doing my best to help my family member with their NDIS needs, but it’s hard to know if I’m getting it right. Sometimes I think I’m doing too much, other times maybe not enough. It’s like I’m either hovering over them or leaving them in the lurch. Anyone else find this balancing act tricky? How do you figure out what’s just right?

Hey GulfGavotte_1969, I get you, it’s like walking on eggshells. My sister and I had a lot of back and forth on this. We finally sat down and just laid it all out - what she wants to do herself, and where she needs me. It’s never set in stone; we keep the convo going and adjust as needed. It’s about teamwork, really.

GulfGavotte_1969, mate, been there. One thing that helped was chatting with a professional – our NDIS coordinator gave some solid advice. They’ve seen it all and can help you find that middle ground. Plus, it takes some weight off your shoulders to have an expert’s input. Keep your chin up; it’s all part of the journey.

Hey, thanks for sharing. What kind of advice did your NDIS coordinator give you? I’m keen to hear more about what they suggested, might give me some pointers on where to start.

The NDIS coordinator emphasized the importance of setting achievable goals. We worked together to identify areas where my sister wanted more independence and others where she felt she needed support. The key was creating a plan that respected her choices while ensuring her needs were met. They also suggested regular check-ins to adjust the plan as her confidence and abilities evolved. It’s been a game-changer for us.

Its just hard, because my family member can have some difficulty expressing themselves. Worth a shot to sit down and try to chat about it though.

Thanks all.