Concerns About SIL Provider's Risk Management

Hi, I’m in a bit of a dilemma with my relative’s Supported Independent Living (SIL) situation. He’s non-verbal and shares accommodation with another participant whose behavior is becoming increasingly violent. I’m not getting much information from the SIL provider about this, only hearing bits from external supports (more than 1 person). My relative has 1:1 funding, but it seems the resources are being stretched due to the other participant’s needs. What should a SIL provider do in such situations? Any advice on how to address this?

Hi there. From my experience, transparency is key in these situations. Unfortunately, some providers might withhold information to avoid losing clients. It’s crucial to have a provider you can trust, one that keeps you informed about all incidents. If you feel there’s a lack of honesty or clarity, it might be time to consider other options.

If your family member has 1:1 funding and the other participant is high-risk without adequate support, the provider needs to address this imbalance. It’s their responsibility to ensure both participants receive the support they need, even if it means additional costs for them. Proper care should never be compromised.

Hey RiverRiff :slight_smile:

Registered providers are required to keep you informed, especially regarding safety and risk concerns. If you’re not getting this information, it’s a red flag. Raising this issue directly with the provider and asking for specific action and responses is critical.

They need to request a review for a change in circumstances due to these escalating issues. A proper review could potentially adjust the funding or care arrangement to better suit the situation at hand.

As a guardian, it’s crucial to actively advocate for your relative’s safety. Document your concerns and communicate them to the SIL provider in writing. Request specific safety measures and follow up rigorously. If the provider’s response isn’t satisfactory, escalate it to their management or consider alternative arrangements. Your relative’s well-being is paramount. Best of luck!

Yeah, its really disheartening to have to constantly go through issues like this. The problem with this industry is that everyone is an amateur trying to save their own skin. There’s no accountability. It really upsets me to know that I can’t trust the people looking after my loved one and I’m constantly wondering about their wellbeing.

If they’re willing to be evasive about issues like this, it makes me wonder what else they’re willing to hide.

I’m sorry you’re having to go through this River.

I know it may be a pain, but if you have more than 1 external support person coming to you, expressing concerns, and you haven’t been told anything by the SIL provider themselves, i personally would consider looking elsewhere for SIL support.

If you can’t trust your loved one’s provider then you’ll never be able to sleep soundly at night.

To have more than one external support person putting their 2c worth in is a big deal in my eyes.

At a minimum, I’d be having a chat with the provider to hold them accountable and get some answers.

You’re right.

Thats exactly how I’m feeling.

I’m going to have a chat with them and possibly look elsewhere based on their answer.

Thanks everyone for your support and input :heart: